An innovative creation to satisfy my sudden craving for pasta!
- Macaroni: Why Macaroni you ask? Cos I did not have any other type of pasta at home!! I had exactly 250 -300 grams of the mac shells hidden away in my moms larder. Go ahead use some other pasta is you prefer but do use something which allows the sauce to get inside it like penne or orecchiette!!
- Pepper?? By Pepper I mean Red and Yellow capsicums and not black pepper! Though I did use some black pepper for seasoning! Also the only reason I used the yellow capsicum was because I did not have another red one but we were impressed with the taste nevertheless…..
Please don’t use green! That might change the color of your dish!
- Puree of 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 small -medium sized onion finely chopped
- Fresh or dry Basil or Oregano seasoning – If you have these don’t fret! I didn’t have em but I am sure they would have made a huge difference to my creation
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
My first choice would be Parmesan, followed by Mozarella. If you don’t have wither good ole Amul cheese will do the trick
- Preheat your baking oven to about 300-350 C
- Quarter the capsicums and toss them along with some olive oil and salt.
- Peel the garlic cloves and add them to this mixture
- When the oven is ready, transfer the veggie mixture and roast for about 15 minutes or until the capsicums start developing black blisters on their skin. By now your kitchen will have the wonderful aroma of roasted capsicums and garlic….trust me it’s something you need to experience
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the macaroni as per the instructions on the pack
- When the roasting is done, transfer the veggies to a mixer and grind to make a rough paste
- Heat a good cooking pot on the stove and add some olive oil to it.
- Add the onions and saute them till they start turning translucent
- Add the tomato puree and allow the sauce to thicken a bit. Add some freshly ground pepper as per taste. If you are using some herbs now would be the time to add them
- When the sauce is fairly cooked, i.e. when the raw tomato smell has vanished, add the roasted veggie mixture and mix well. Check for salt at this stage and cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove the pot from the stove and mix in the grated cheese followed by the Macaroni. Mix well and serve hot with more garnished cheese and some garlic bread 🙂