Mmmmmm….delicious!! This dish is simple to make and very filling. It tastes exotic and is a great tasting comfort food.
- 1 diced onion
- 1 – cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp freshly chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup mushrooms – cleaned and quartered
- 1/2 cup broccoli crowns
- 1 cup green and red bell peppers – Chop them in large pieces
- 2-3 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 bunch freshly chopped basil
- 1 cup firm tofu – cubes and drained of all water
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- salt per taste
- 1.5 tbsp oil (I used canola oil)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- When the oil is hot enough add the onions and saute for a few seconds.
- When the onions start turning transparent add the garlic and the ginger.
- Saute till the onions caramelize well.Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes few minutes. You will notice that the mushrooms start shrinking.
- Add the broccoli crowns, the bell peppers, tofu and the cumin powder.
- Add some salt to help the vegetables cook faster. Mix some of the basil leaves and cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and mix well. If the mixture is too thick add some water. The dish should have the consistency which is a bit thicker than stew.
- Add the remaining basil leaves and let the mixture simmer well.
- Check the taste of salt and add more salt if required. Simmer for about 10 minutes and remove the pan from the stove.
Serve hot with brown or long grained white rice
- If you have lemon grass add the same when you add the basil leaves in step 9
- First add 2 tsp of red curry paste and check the taste. If you can handle more heat, add another tsp of the paste.
- While cooking the vegetables, if the mixture gets too dry, spray some more oil so that vegetables cook well.
- You can substitute cauliflower instead of broccoli if you prefer.
- You can also use vegetables like carrots, beans, snap peas etc., Ensure that you chop them in large pieces.
- This dish can also be enjoyed own its own like a chunky soup!