My variation on the traditional Mutter Paneer and this one is definitely healthier! Goes well with rotis or peas pulao or plain basmati rice.
- 20 cubes of extra firm tofu – drained and dried
- 1 onion – cubed
- 1 ripe tomato
- 2 green chillies – slit
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1.5 cups of fresh green peas
- Cubed red or green bell pepper (optional) – I used it because I had some left over peppers
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder (add more if you like spicy food)
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt per taste
- Coriander / Cilantro for garnish
- Lime Juice for garnish (optional)
- Heat a non-stick pan and using 1 tsp oil stir fry the tofu still they turn brown. Transfer these to a separate plate
- In the same kadai add about 1/2 tsp of oil and saute the garlic, onions and the coriander seeds, turmeric powder until the onions turn golden brown.
- Transfer the onion, garlic mixture to a mixer. Add chopped tomatoes to the mixer and grind to get a paste.
- In a non- stick kadai, Add about 1.5 tbsp of oil. When the kadai is hot enough add the jeera and the chillies.
- Once the jeera starts crackling, add the onion and tomato paste and saute till the raw smell of onion no longer exists.
- (If you are using green or red bell peppers add them before the masala paste and saute for 2 minutes.)
- Add salt and chilli powder to the masala paste followed by the peas and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and mix well. Switch off the gas after 10 minutes and garnish with the chopped coriander and lime juice.