Sabu Daana also known as Javarisi in tamil is made from tapioca and has an amazing taste when cooked properly. This is cooked quite often in the western part of India to be enjoyed after a day of fasting or for breakfast. This kichadi is very tasty and filling.
- Saabu Daana – 1 Cup
- Roasted Peanuts – 1 Cup
- 1 potato – diced
- 2 green chillies – well chopped
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt per taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Few Curry Leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash the sabu daana well and remove the starch. Fill the bowl with water about 2inches over the sabu daana and soak the grains over night. It is important that the sabu does not get too mushy.
- Grind the peanuts to a coarse powder in a mixer.
- Heat a non stick kadai and add the ghee and oil
- When hot enough, add the jeera, curry leaves, chillies and asafoetoida.
- Add the potatoes and saute well. Add some salt and turmeric powder.
- When the potatoes are three fourths cooked, add the ground peanuts and mix well.
- Add the soaked sabu daana and mix well. The peanuts should coat the entire mixture.
- If you find the mixture is sticking to the bottom of the vessel, add some more oil and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and add the sugar and continue to mix well.
- When a crust starts to form at the bottom of the mixture remove the pan from the stove
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mix in the lemon juice.
Serve hot. You can enjoy this dish with any of your favorite pickles!