I have been meaning to post this for some time now! I had some olives left in my fridge and was trying to find a novel way of consuming them. Then I made the connection – if we can have basil pesto, sun dried tomato pesto, why not olive pesto?? Here goes its the most simple recipe you can find. I used purple kalamatta olives as they have an amazing fragrance and taste. Since I got them at a store they were already tossed with some herbs and spices!The beautiful purple color of the pesto makes it pretty tempting to eat.
- 1 cup of seedless purple olives
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (you can add more or less based on your preference)
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese (Parmesan is the staple for pestos but I say get adventurous and try any cheese you have on hand)
- 1 -2 tbsp of olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a mixer or a food processor and grind.
- Drizzle the olive oil gently and grind again till you get a nice paste. The paste should not be too fine but a little rough.
Serve with toast (yummy! they make awesome appetizers) or toss with any of your pastas for that extra kick!
- As I have mentioned, my olives were already tossed with some spices. If you cannot find these kind of olives, add some oregano, a pepper (per taste), dried or fresh basil to the mix.
- I did not add salt as the olives and cheese were salty by themselves. But you can adjust this as per your taste.