Quesadillas are a very simple and delicious favorite amongst lovers of Mexican food. Traditionally Quesadillas are made with Corn tortillas but we can even use chapatis (fresh ones or left overs) to make a quick and healthy dish. Here is what you will need:
Corn Tortillas or soft Chapatis
1 cup of red kidney beans
Onions – finely chopped
Tomato – finely chopped
Mixed vegetables (your choice). This recipe contained carrots, beans, corn and peas. You can use Cauliflowers, green bell peppers, mushrooms or any of your favorite veggie combinations.
Your favorite choice of shredded cheese (Mozzarella or Cheddar recommended)
1. Soak the red kidney beans overnight. Next day steam in a pressure cooker with little water and set aside to cool.
2. In a kadai, heat some oil and saute the onions.
3. Add tomatoes followed by the cooked rajma.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and saute for a few minutes.
5. Remove from the stove and let the mixture cool.
6. Once the mixture has cooled, grind the mixture to a thick paste. The paste should not be gummy but rather thick.
1. Heat some oil in a pan and add onions and garlic.
2. Saute till the onions start caramelising and add the mixed vegetables.
3. Add some salt and pepper and continue to saute.
4. Once the vegetables have been cooked, set them aside to cool
Making the Quesadillas
1. Heat a tava.
2. When the tava is getting hot, take a chapati and spread the mixture of refried beans on 2 chapathis.
3. Place a chapati on the tava (The side containing the rajma mixture should be facing up)
4. Spread the mixed vegetables on the chapati.
5. Spread some cheese on top of the vegetables.
6. Close this with the other chapati(This time the side containing the rajma mixture should face down)
7. Press for a few seconds so that the chapatis seal together.
8. Roast the set for a few seconds and carefully turnover.
9. Cook the quesadilla until the other side is also roasted and the cheese has begun to melt.
10. Transfer the quesadilla to a plate and cut into quadrants.
11. Serve with sour cream and tomato salsa