A lot of thinking went into this dish as I was customizing something that was essentially made with meat to suit a vegetarian palate. But the end result was delicious and guilt free and my parents enjoyed it!
Whole grains Spaghetti 250 grams (Use normal spaghetti if you prefer the taste of the same)
- 5 cups of tomato paste
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus – cut into long slices and steamed
- 1 finely chopped Onion
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 3-4 bay leaves
- Small bunch of fresh basil finely chopped (use dry basil if you cant find the fresh leaves)
- 2-3 tsps of oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- Chilli flakes per taste
- Freshly ground Pepper per taste
- Salt per taste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Cook the couscous in 1 cup of water as per the instructions on the box and leave aside to cool.
- When the couscous has cooled mix it with all the other ingredients in a bowl to get a nice dough (like cutlet mixture).
- Add a little bit of olive oil to the mix so that it doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Pre-heat the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into small balls and arrange onto a greased baking dish.
- Insert the tray into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the balls start turning golden brown.
- Add the olive oil to a heated cooking bowl.
- Add the garlic and the bay leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and saute until they start turning transparent.
- Add the steamed asparagus and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, the chopped basil leaves, chilli flakes, oregano and salt and let the sauce simmer until the raw taste of the tomato goes away.
- Add some water when the sauce begins to thicken and continue to simmer. Cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar in case the tomatoes are a bit sour.
- Switch off the gas and let the sauce cool.
- Add the baked tofu balls to the sauce and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
In a plate or pasta bowl, arrange some cooked spaghetti and then top off with the marinara sauce and tofu balls. Top with some freshlu grates parmesan cheese or any other cheese of your choice.
Serve it with some tasty garlic bread! Sit back and enjoy a healthy taste of Italy.