- 3 Boiled Potatoes
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 slit green chillies
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper / capsicum chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup of boiled mixed vegetables (carrot,beans, peas, cauliflower, even cabbage…your choice!)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1tsp amchur powder(dried mango powder)
- 1tsp chaat masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- Freshly chopped green coriander for garnish
- salt per taste
- Pav buns or Hamburger buns (I use whole wheat or potato buns but you can use any bread of your choice)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadai. When it turns hot add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter, add the asafoetida powder
- Add the onions and green chillies and saute them till the onions start turning golden brown.
- Add the kasoori methi powder and saute for a minute
- Add 3/4 of the chopped capsicums and follow up with the chopped tomatoes
- Add ginger,garlic paste and a pinch of salt followed by the powdered spices.
- When the oil starts leaving the pan add the mixed vegetables and mix well.
- Crumble the potatoes and add to the other vegetables. Add some water and mix well.
- User a potato masher and mash all the vegetables in the kadai till you get a smooth vegetable mix.
- Add more salt (per taste). Add the remaining chopped capsicum.
- When the mixture starts boiling add the amchur powder and cook for 2-3 minutes more and turn off the gas. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and chaat masala
- Serve with the toasted buns and slice of lime (for those who love the taste of lime juice with their bhaji)
1. A cousin of mine made this more healthy by adding half the amount of potatoes and black channa was substituted for the the remaining quantity of potatoes.